Monday, May 4, 2009

Dim Sum Sunday - Comfort Food

There are tons of comfort foods out there - which one to pick. When I tell you how I came up with my choice you'll say, "Buzz, how about putting some effort into this for Christ's sake?" Effort is the thing I'm really short on these days.


So I wasn't going to do an entry this Sunday because:

a. office work
b. yard work
c. chauffeur to kid's birthday party
d. soccer game
e. baseball game
f. Mother's Day is next week and I haven't a clue


Didn't think I'd have the time. Then the rains came in - all weekend long. Suddenly, b, d. and e. went away and I have some time to cook (f. is still there unfortunately - anyone have any ideas?). So I rummaged through the pantry and fridge to see what was on hand. For some reason, we have an over-abundance of potatoes, both baking and sweet. I did a quick recipe search and came up with this recipe for Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad.

Potato Salad is comfort food, right? A staple at all picnics and barbecues. I'm ashamed to say I fit the category with what I had on hand rather than what is truly comfort food to me. Had I made an effort it would have been meatloaf or chili or pot roast.

Instead, you get potato salad. And not the standard potato salad - Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad. Potato salad with sweet potatoes and no mayo. What am I doing here?

Anyway, I followed the recipe pretty closely (I tripled it - I had a lot of potatoes) but I left out the corn and cucumber (didn't have any - again effort). Slapped it all together, put it on the table and the Mrs. LOVED IT. I must say it tasted pretty good even though I overcooked the potatoes like I always do. So here's some rainy day, lack-of-effort (and imagination), last minute comfort food.






Bon Appetite.

3 comments:

Big Shamu said...

Buzz, here's the great thing. This just might BECOME your family's comfort food. You son might look back and say, one Sunday my dad made a recipe that I bugged him to make again and again. The new hit at the company picnic. It's a great effort and definitely appreciated. Thanks for coming back and joining in despite all the alphabet of chores.

Susan said...

looks and sounds delicious ! I'm trying this one ...for sure. merci !!

LaDivaCucina said...

Hmmm, you made something from my end of the world, the Caribbean! (ok, Flo-duh!) Interesting to add cukes to that texture and I always like peanuts. Hmmm. I like mashed sweet potatoes too esp. with Cajun meatloaf! (yes, it's made with turkey too, sorry!)