Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Movie Clip Wednesday - Best Broadway Play Adapted to Film


That Movie Clip Wednesday matron of honor, Boxer is actually back in the saddle and hostessessing this runaway train she started. So, the Milk River Madman can sit back, relax and just worry about his selection. This MCW Meme has everyone picking a clip from their favorite movies based on a weekly theme while trying to keep the clip or clips to around 3 minutes long. This week's theme is BEST BROADWAY PLAY ADAPTED TO FILM. I guess this could have been worse. Believe it or not, I have a Broadway Musical in mind and it comes with personal story (I'M NOT GAY!).

The Mrs has a 1st cousin, the Act-tour who has done some bit parts in movies and Broadway shows. So back in 1998 we were invited to see him in an off-Broadway show at the St. James Theatre. We took the Greyhound up to NYC (about a 2 hour ride) and saw the show that night. We stayed in a dump of a hotel that cost $200 a night (back then) which I have thankfully forgotten. We did go to a diner off of Times Square with the cousin and his hot Japanese girlfriend who was a dancer in Miss Saigon.

Anyway, the play was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. The Mrs' cousin was part of the ensemble cast and played something like 5 different parts and did a lot of the chorus singing. The show ran for more than a year and opened with Nathan Lane in the lead role of Pseudolus, the slave. By the time we got to see it, the lead was taken over by...wait for it...Whoopi Goldberg. How do you go from Nathan Lane who is one of the whitest white guys I know to Whoopi Goldberg, a very black woman? Surprisingly, she did well and we got to meet her for a minute after the show. We also met Ernie Sabella who played Lycus, a buyer and seller of courtesans. He is better known as the voice of Pumbaa in the Lion King and he was a really nice guy.

So, that's my story. And here's the opening sequence from 1966's A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. This starred the very funny Zero Mostel as Pseudolus. This also features Buster Keaton in his last role as Erronius. Even though he was suffering from cancer (which ultimately killed him) he insisted on doing all of his own stunts.

As an aside: This movie also came to mind because I've been following Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena on Starz (Seriously, I'm not gay). The gladiator fights are off-the-hook violent and CGI enhanced. It's really entertaining if you haven't seen it.

So there you have it. Another Buzz Kill brush with greatness. Head on over to Boxer's (not the other guy) for more Broadway fun and show tunes.

17 comments:

moi said...

That's NYC for ya: either you pay a thousand a night for what elsewhere would barely qualify as a Holiday Inn or you pay two bucks less for something that wouldn't qualify as discount in Jakarta.

Anyway. We watched Spartacus for a while. While I'll never fully reject anything that features that many chiseled eight-pack abs, in the end, we found it a little bit too camp and let it slide.

I love a Funny Thing Happened, though. A truly funny movie!

Jenny said...

Once when I was in NYC , we paid too much for a "hotel" and I insisted we move a dresser in front of the door at night. Our key was one of those easy to replicate kind. You picked a great movie with an equally great story. Why don't you post more Buzz Stories? This and the Boy Scout one is making for a good read this week. I've never seen this movie, but I love Buster Keaton so I think I'll see it. I did see a road show of this play about ten years ago.

Happy MCW!

Karl said...

Good morning Buzz Kill,

This was such a funny movie. I wonder how they could do all of it on stage and make it nearly as funny, nor can I imagine Whoopi Goldberg in the role. If you say she pulled it off, I'll believe you.

Did you suffer some sort of trauma or event that makes you worry so much about looking gay? Just curious?

Buzz Kill said...

Moi
I live 2 hours fron NYC and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been there. That said, I'm suppose to go there to some charity event with my sister in April. The guest speaker - Patty Duke. I may have another story.

Spartacus is a really well written Roman soap opera. And I like the blood and naked chicks. But there's plenty there for the women folk too.

Boxer
I have the stories, I don't have the time. You'll just have to settle for pieces of me in dribs and drabs.

If the snow ever totally melts, I'll show you a picture of a souvenir rock that we got from the NYC show. As musicals go, Forum is pretty good because it's a comedy too.

Karl
Pseudolus is a comedy role and Whoopi is a comedian of sorts. I like how she's pissed this week that the NY Times forgot she won an Oscar. Does she have much of an ego?

Broadway musicals + gladiators = GAY (in my world)

Captain Oveur: Joey, do you like movies about gladiators? Bwahahahaha

Pam said...

This is one that I have never seen, which is unusual given that it rolls around on cable once in a while. But how fun to meet Whoopi, I can't help it, I love her. The only time I have been to NYC, it was in 1964 for the World's Fair and I was about six. Definitely need to get back as a grown up. Maybe.

Milk River Madman said...

That's a good story there BUZZ.

Love the Cpt. Oveur reference.

Joanna Cake said...

I just never really got this film...

Buzz Kill said...

Madman
I miss Peter Graves.

Joanna
This is like a musical version of Mel Brook's History of the World Part 1. It's interesting to see once.

Buzz Kill said...

Pam
She came out on stage and greeted a group of us (the Mrs cousin got us in the group) from the stage. It was kind of weird. She asked where individuals were from and some other chit chat. Then we all walked out of the theater with her and watched her get into a black SUV and take off. I'm not a big city kind of guy, so I don't even go into Philadelphia all that much.

chickory said...

didnt see it, but the trip sure is memorable! when in NYC, I always stay in this convent based hotel -the leo house. its in chelsea, 75 a night, clean and quiet (the back yard is behind a cathedral) and the sisters make breakfast from scratch and charge $5 for it. every paper in the world is in the refectory and theres Mass daily if you want it.

happy MCW

darkfoam said...

chickory ..
i stayed in the leo house when i went to nyc a couple of years ago too!!
but beside that

buzzkill,
i have never heard of this at all! seems a hoot though. next time you go to nyc call the leo house.

Buzz Kill said...

Chicky
I don't even remember the hotel we stayed in but the Mrs' cousin recommended it becasue itwas close to the theater. We were able to walk everywhere we needed without cabs. My sister actually lived in Manhattan and the only time I ever went to her apartment was to move her out.

Foam
I'll keep it in mind but I don't go there unless it's some special event, and that doesn't happen often.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunty Belle said...

Forum is funny--but yore stories is better, BuzzK

As fer livin' close but never goin' to Gotham? I hear ya'. I live in the Rat's front yard, but I ain't been to Disney World in 25 years.

Well, how funny, I too has stayed at Leo House in NYC, like Foamy and Chick9. I'se rarely in NYC lessen it's fer work which happens at 1st Ave and 44th, which means I'se always sickened an' enraged. Fer quiet respite I retreat to the Dominican Priory at St. Vincent Ferrer 65th and Lex(No charge, jes a donation)Safe, quiet, no breakfast, but the church will make you gasp! barely less spectacular that St. Pat's--barely.

Buzz Kill said...

Aunty
You know way more about NYC than I do. I'm suppose to be going there in April but it will just be for the day and I doubt I'll get much sight seeing in.

moi said...

Wishing you luck on Part Deaux of the Great Eagle Scout Escapade this weekend. Also, I'm hosting Haiku Monday at my blog this week. Theme is PERFUME. New rule is, you can write as many as you'd like, but I'll be judging only one, so let me know which one that will be.

chickory said...

good luck to the Boy tomorrow!