Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Movie Clip Wednesday - Best Flood Scene

That Movie Clip Wednesday birth mother, Boxer is still an absentee parent. So the lovely and scantily clad Joanna Cake again will perform the hostess duties. This MCW Meme has everyone picking a clip from their favorite movies based on a weekly theme while trying to keep the clip or clips to around 3 minutes long. She has declared this week's theme to be - Best Flood Scene. I think I proposed this one because it was on my mind with the resent events in the low lands of the Mighty Mississippi.

What I had in mind was not your standard Ten Commandments parting of the Red Sea type flooding (although that was pretty cool). Or your typical farm flooding like Mel Gibson's The River. No, I'm talking about the worst possible place to have a flood, and that's at sea. If you're in a ship or a submarine, the ability to float means an awful lot. There are some great sea flooding scenes from The Poseidon Adventure and The Perfect Storm, to Das Boot, Gray Lady Down and Crimson Tide.

I decided to go with a more "instantaneous" nautical flooding scene, and that was the mini-sub implosion scene in 1989's The Abyss. When that glass starts cracking and you know it's just a matter of seconds before Lt. Coffey is done, that's edge-of-your-seat suspense. The rest of the movie gets a little hokey and there is the whole plot twist at the end, but I love this scene.






Everyone should be up to their necks with this theme (groan) so head on over to Joanna's for more interesting water sports.

As a special bonus and at no extra charge to you, the consumer (I thought of this one after I did the write-up), I present to you what I think is one of the funniest flood scenes ever. It's a little long but worth the watch.

18 comments:

Princess said...

Nice call Buzz. The Abyss... I knew a dive instructor once. Every time I'd call over we'd have to watch this movie. After about the fifth screening I thought that too many dives left him with permanent nitrogen narcosis. Turned out that he only had the one movie in his collection!

Surfs up at "The Palais" with a small selection of moving pictures...

Happy MCW!

Karl said...

Good afternoon Buzz Kill,

Good scene few people can understand how much pain he would've been in right before the implosion. Lt. Coffey was already suffering from HPNS, add compression arthralgia to the equation and his last few seconds were extremely painful. Cameron did get that part right. Ofcourse the rest of the movie, he went off into La La Land.

That last clip was a good one, even if they did rip off Moby Dick.

A fine clip day to you.

Joanna Cake said...

I had totally forgotten that scene from 'Oh Brother' Great call! I have never been able to watch The Abyss all the way through... I just get bored!

Buzz Kill said...

Princess
It could have been worse. That one movie could have been Howard the Duck.

Karl
I knew you'd appreciate this one and would get all technical on me. I just like the glass cracking.

The Cohen Brothers don't rip off, they do homages.

Joanna
The Oh Brother scene was an after-thought. I agree that the Abyss is hard to watch all the way through more than once. But that one scene really stayed with me.

Anonymous said...

A very interesting choice, Buzz Kill, I have not seen both films.

Buzz Kill said...

Mago
The Abyss is OK, but Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a different kind of funny movie with great dialogue. I'm not a big Clooney fan, but he was really funny in this. Definitely worth watching some time.

Aunty Belle said...

Heh...well, first--I DID choose the River so reckon I git the idjit prize.

I is claustophobic, an' cannot imagine being locked in no tube an sent under the sea. Yeah. Shuuuure. So ain't seen the Abyss. Did manage to git through Hunt fer Red October and that Clark Gable one...Run Silent, Run Deep. But it were a good clip.

The Oh Brother--inspired! Gotta say though, the whole last monologue of Clooney == give up God in favor of the Age of Reason, puttin' us all on a grid--no kiddin'! ahahaha ha!

Good stuff this week, Buzz.

Happy MCW

Buzz Kill said...

Aunty
No idjit award for you, The River was just a traditional type flood movie in a dirction I didn't want to go. I love submarine movies and Run Silent Run Deep is a good one. I love the dialogue in O Brother - it's the best part.

MovieClip said...

really very nice movie and it is gives the good entertainment

Satellite TV said...

Incredible, fantastic write-up.Many thanks. Magnificent.

Prescription Medicines said...

It's awe movie and I like it....

Laser Hair Removal said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm trying to find information on and this has definitely helped me in this process.

prescription medicines said...

Its a nice clip i like it. Thanks dor share it.....

Medical Suppliers said...

thank for this imformation i like it>

Groomsmen Gifts said...

I must admit you share a tremendous amount of information regarding that center. Personally i will take care of every single word that you had mention over here.

manutida34 said...

Before anything, let me just thank you so much because your blog is so impressing. I actually love it. I was only looking for reports about annuity rates but I got an extraordinary treat. This is such the perfect result of my online search. Continue the good work!

Anonymous said...

thanks

dissertation
|
thesis paper

Anonymous said...

scrabblewordseek.com