Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Movie Clip Wednesday - Best TV Series Made into a Movie


Boxer is taking a break this month and the Milk River Madman has graciously offered to host the Movie Clip Wednesday Meme where everyone picks a clip from their favorite movies based on a weekly theme. This week's theme is BEST TV SERIES MADE INTO A MOVIE. Now again, I'm going to stay away from the Star Trek series because you know J-Cake will be doing The Wrath of Kahn. In fact, she could probably use The Wrath of Kahn for about half the themes we've done so far. Good series, good movies, 'nuf said.

Get Smart was another great series that was recently made into a movie with Steve Carell and the movie was really funny. But I used Get Smart before, so I will give it honorable mention and move on.

No, the movie, or rather movies, I chose are the Naked Gun movies. A lot of people don't know that these movies were based on the very short lived Police Squad from 1982. There were only 6 episodes made and it was truly a tragedy that it was cancelled. This series, from the Zucker Brothers (think Airplane) was absolutely hysterical. If you've never seen them, do yourself a favor and rent them. Anyway, here's a clip from the third movie, 1994's Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult. The intro spoofs the stairs scene from The Untouchables. And there's OJ in there too.





This memorable quote is from 1988's The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! I laugh every time I hear it.







And here is one of the intros from the TV series Police Squad, 1982 . They always have a special guest star who gets killed in the intro. There's one with Bill Shatner (in honor of Star Trek) but I couldn't find a descent clip.





So go over and see the Madman for more of the best TV series made into movies.

5 comments:

Joanna Cake said...

I always enjoy these spoofs altho I didnt realise they originated as a tv series!

Princess said...

Hey Buzz, I didn't know this started on TV.
Good choice these movies made me laufg a lot...
Yabba dabba doo i'll let you guess my choice!
happy MCW.

Jenny said...

Bwaahahahah. I love the show and the movies. What a great pick. Leslie Nielsen was the king of dead pan. And OJ? Oh Good Lord. Mr. Boxer and I still quote lines from both the show and the movie.

I think I got my choice backwards... I went movie to TV.

Milk River Madman said...

I'm still flippin laughing. From the newspaper headline "Dyslexia for cure found" to the TV intro. "tonight's episode, A broken promise" I'm glad no one came in my office the last 10 minutes. Great stuff.

Isn't it cool how Airplane revitalized Nielson's career. He was a pretty serious actor till that and he stole the that movie. I love the title "The Naked Gun". Also the subtitles, "The smell of fear" and "The final insult"

Buzz Kill said...

J-Cake
With only 6 episodes, most people didn't see it. It was supposedly cancelled because test audiences didn't get the humor. The series got sort of a cult following once the Tradgically Hip (myself included) realized it was a lot like Airplane. I don't know how this all played out in the UK.

Princess
Yeah, most people don't know about the series. It's available on DVD and Netflicks.

Boxer
Any scene with Frank Drebin and Johnny the Shoeshine is hysterical. And my favorite quote (besides the nice beaver one):

Mimi Du Jour: "Is this some kind of bust?"
Frank Drebin: "Yes, ma'am, it's very impressive, but we need to ask you a few questions."

Madman
Police Squad is absolutely my kind of humor. I think it's the funniest TV sereis ever made. And before this, Leslie Nielsen was captain of the Poseidon. I was also going to include an end scene where they do a freeze frame but all the actors are still moving - stuff dropping, coffee spilling - funny stuff. Loved the theme this week.