Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Movie Clip Wednesday - Best Twist Ending in a Movie


With the very punctual and very-good-about-advance-notice on-the-theme Boxer still missing, the last-minute, oh-one-day-is-enough-time Milk River Madman is graciously continuing to host the Movie Clip Wednesday Meme where everyone picks a clip from their favorite movies based on a weekly theme. This week's theme is BEST TWIST ENDING IN A MOVIE (or words to that effect). Jeez, these short-fuse themes are killing me. Understandable because the Madman has been out and about with his childhood buddies doing God knows what in the middle of the Montana Wilderness. So he gets a pass - this week.

There are a couple of great movies out there with right field type endings that you don't see coming. The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, Citizen Kane and even Soylent Green come to mind immediately. But the movie I think of is the first ending twist to a movie that I saw as a child. And that would be 1968's Planet of the Apes. I know it seems hokey and cliche by today's standards, but back then when I saw this ending, I had no idea it was coming. There was no Internet or movie review shows, so there weren't many plot spoilers out there. I think that made it so powerful back then. But all the horrible sequels came out and just ruined it. Anyway, here's the famous ending which I haven't seen in many years, just as I remembered it:









And you know it's an iconic ending if Homer Simpson uses it:





So, dam you all to hell and go over to the Madman 's. He's got stuff there you'll never see coming.

11 comments:

Heff said...

Excellent choice, and one of my favorite movies of all time. Soylent Green would've been good too !

Milk River Madman said...

Excellent choice Buzz! Soylent Green is going to become reality under Obama's health care plan. Now, what's all this grief about being late?

Pam said...

Those damn dirty apes. Now, that was one fine specimen of a man, I must admit. So I always thought that the Statue of Liberty had been submerged on its own ... but now it seems that it was blown up and came to rest in California? Is that what I'm seeing here?

Karl said...

Good afternoon Buzz Kill,

I blanked out on this topic, couldn't come up with a thing. After reading "The Sixth Sense, Fight Club, Citizen Kane and even Soylent Green come to mind immediately" I slapped myself on the forehead 4 times. All would have been good choises. Although you picked the best one of the bunch.

Happy clip day!

Princess said...

Good Call BuzzKill,
I remember the shock ending from when i first saw this movie and have never looked at an ape in the same way since...

Joanna Cake said...

It was a big shock, even as a Brit :)

Milk River Madman said...

Oh, and lets not forget the very lovely and scorching hot Linda Harrison who played Nova. Yowza!! "Hey, whadadoin? Wanna go on a ride to the Forbidden Zone with me?" What a great line to use.

Jenny said...

I nearly went with this myself and totally agree about the lack of spoilers back when this first came out. The ending was a big shocker to me (but I was only a kid) When he comes around the corner of the beach and realizes he's in New York? Amazing. Just amazing.

Loving the Homer too. hmmmmmmm. Donut.

Happy MCW!

Buzz Kill said...

Heff

IT'S PEOPLE! I loved that movie too. Charleton Heston was a man's man actor.

Madman
You know, I think Soylent Green was on to something. Gets rid of the elderly, feeds the hungry, cuts down on overpopulation, reduces the drain on health care - wins all around. Bwahahaha

Pam
Well, technically, they're in NYC. Beneath the Planet of the Apes shows all of the NYC subways. In actualily, it was probably filmed in Malibu.

Karl
Blame the Madman for the MCW block. If you had more time, you would have gotten there.

Princess
Yeah, when I first saw it I had no idea it was earth. Then you look at it again and there are plenty of clues - like the apes carrying M-16s.

Joanna
Was this big in England?

Madman
Agreed. Forbidden Zone has been used in other movies (Mad Max I think) - and is pretty cool sounding. And Linda Harrison never did much outside of Planet of the Apes, and that's a shame.

Boxer
You and I were the same, impressionable age when this came out. I was talking about Homer. Bwahahaha

moi said...

I think my obsession with Apocalyptic Lit and Flicks started with Planet of the Apes. One of the all time greats.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.