Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Movie Clip Wednesday - Favorite Movie Theme Song


Looks like Boxer is still on extended, double-secret sabbatical and the Milk River Madman is graciously continuing to host the Movie Clip Wednesday Meme where everyone picks a clip from their favorite movies based on a weekly theme. This week's very last minute theme is FAVORITE MOVIE THEME SONGS. Being a big Clint Eastwood fan, I immediately thought of the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Italian composer Ennio Morricone. Not only are there few words to remember (more like Italian, inaudible cheers) but it was also the theme song for the Ramones and they opened all their concerts with it.

Nah, too easy. So I went with a similar instrumental piece (with a few California Surfer Dude, inaudible cheers). Dick Dale's "Miserlou" from 1994's Pulp Fiction is a cool, surfer guitar-riffing machine gun that immediately brings the movie to mind no matter where you hear it. Curiously, Miserlou means "Egyptian Girl" and came from a Greek folk-dance song from the early 1900s (kind of like La Bamba). I love the movie and I love the theme.



Special mention also goes to another Quentin Tarantino film, Kill Bill Volume 1. The Green Hornet theme by Al Hirt and "Battle Without Honor or Humanity" by Tomoyasu Hotei are also great instrumentals. Probably what I like most about Tarantino films is the music.

Wanna hear more great, movie theme songs, then go over and see the Madman . He'll leave music (and voices) in your head all the day long.

12 comments:

Princess said...

Nice Call BuzzKill
this is a great piece of music, this weeks theme was real difficult given there were so many options to choose from...
Happy MCW

chickory said...

what? you mean you didnt pick

"its gettin' hard out hear for a pimp"?

it won an oscar, after all. grrrrrrrrherherhehahahaha`

chickory said...

out here

Milk River Madman said...

Well done Buzz. Love Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. QT writes the best dialogue. Bill's description of Superman in Volume 2 is fantastic. Hey, and what do you mean "last minute" I gave you 24 hours notice. It's what my brother requires of me before I come and visit. Next weeks theme is already listed so neener, neener. Thanks for playing and have a great rest of your week.

Heff said...

Surfer music, dude !

Pam said...

Love the music and Pulp Fiction, although it is much more violent than I usually can tolerate. I can't tolerate Kill Bill at all and think Uma Thurman looks like a fish. I swear her eyes are on the side of her head. Happy MCW!

Sharon Rudd said...

That song is awesome. (Good thing the air-conditioning is on and windows closed, so I could listen at full volume without annoying the neighbors.) Hope all is well in your corner of the world, Buzz!

Buzz Kill said...

Princess
Yeah, the guitar riffs in this song always get me fired up.

Chicky
Afraid I don't know that one but probably should if I want to keep my pimp hand strong.

Madman
I think I actually like Kill Bill a little better. The House of Blue Leaves seen is absolutely amazing.

Heff
An axeman like you should appreciate this guitar riff.

Pam
You gotta man up if you're going to keep up with the really great movies. Just keep saying to yourself that the blood is fake (450 gallons for Kill Bill).

IE
You worry about your neighbors? My neighbors worry about me - and with good reason.

Buzz Kill said...

I meant to also say how much this song reminds me of 1963's Wipeout by the Surfaris. Another great surfer song.

Pam said...

Man up? No way! But I can answer most of the movie line quotes on the quiz over on Pioneer Woman tonight. Maybe you guys need to "chick up" on the chick flicks!!! In fact, I think I will sugest that as a theme to MRM -- "chick flicks that guys love"

Buzz Kill said...

Pam
Yeah, I said it - man up! There's a lot of other things in this world to be more afraid of than movies. They're diversions that can influence and change your life and it'd be ashame to miss that because of a little blood.

And I did musicals and best kiss when they came around with very little complaining. I think I even suggested the "chick flicks that guys love" theme to Boxer way back. I'd be down with that.

moi said...

Awesome, I totally forgot about this! I think the best thing about Tarantino is his knowledge of music and the way he uses it in his movies, which otherwise IMHO are pretty unevenly made. You ever see Jackie Brown? Brilliant soundtrack featuring one great 1970s R&B track after the other.