So with that mentality in mind, I set out to develop a simple melding of cupcakes and Peeps. I got the idea as soon as the theme was announced but, like always, schedule got in the way until Tuesday night. Dani over at Gardening Under the Florida Sun did a dessert similar to my idea and did it well. Just not "different" enough.
I started out with these basic ingredients (yeah, I know it's a box mix).
Mixed the cake batter up and poured it into cupcake...cups.
Then I put those Peeps in the batter up to their little necks. The theory here being that the batter would rise up and engulf the Peeps as they baked. Then you would break the cupcake in half and see the "surprise" in side. It looked good on paper even though I didn't actually put it on paper.
Then, 17 minutes later...the horror...the horror...
THEY DIDN'T SINK. They were pushed up with the baking batter and melted all over the place. I knew I was in trouble about 12 minutes in when I was smelling burnt Peeps instead of cupcake. So I salvaged what cupcakes I could (the monsters will eat anything) and soaked the pans in hot water to get rid of the mess. They actually tasted like cotton candy covered cupcakes. Needless to say I didn't need the icing or jelly beans. The plan (I never actually put on paper) called for them to be finished in that way.
So, as I was about to commit hari kari because of the shame I brought to the Kill family name, I was reminded of the words of Homer Simpson - “You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” Happy Easter everyone.